Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

metformin for lipodystrophy
May 3, 1999

I recently heard that there may be a possible new treatment for lipodystrophy. Do you know anything about using something called "Metformin"?

Response from Dr. Fisher

yes, metformin is actually a treatment for diabetes. It works by increasing cellular sensitivity to insulin. This has nothing directly to do with lipodystrophy, but a related component to lipodystrophy is insulin resistance (IR). IR is exactly what metformin is useful for. So in my patients with HIV-associated diabetes I regularly prescrive metformin. However since lipodystrophy itself is probably not caused by IR, I doubt metformin will help lipodystrophy (i.e. the fat redistribution). Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Previous
Fat redistribution
Next
veins that show

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.