METFOMIN FOR LIPODYSTROPHY

I WAS TOLD THAT LIPODYSTROPHY CAN BE REDUCED BY TAKING METFOMIN 500 MG BID OR TID

COULD YOU ADVISE WHETHER THIS IS HELPFUL

IF YES, WILL THERE BE ANY DRUG INTERACTION ON 3TC, D4T, AND VIRACEPT AND ANY SIDE EFFECTS?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE

WITH WARMEST REGARDS

Response from Dr. Fisher

Metformin is an insulin sensitizer used in people with type I and type II diabetes. Because the diabetes in HIV associated with lipodystrophy is known to be due to insulin resistance, the use of metformin or troglitazone (and other related drugs) has been and is being investigated. These drugs are certainly helpful in treating the diabetes associated with HIV...but I'm not aware of evidence that they help the other manifestations of lipodystrophy. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Research
A definitive answer for wasting?