Intensely Athletic and HIV+... Is this a problem?

I run marathons and have been living with HIV for 9 years. I feel great. My t-cells are 400 and my viral load undetectable. Some of my friends say that I'm putting too much pressure on my immune system, that I'm straining too much. That marathons take too much out of me.

I feel great after a marathon and it's so much part of my life I can't see giving it up. Is there any information/studies/data that you are aware of that shows that being really athletic and living with HIV is not a good thing?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Sure sounds like you are in good shape. We generally advise program that includes muscle strengthening exercizes as well as aerobic exercize. A marathon would kill me, but your body is clearly used to this degree of aerobic stress. Just ensure that you have adequate nutritional intake (including vitamins, minerals, etc) and consider a consultation with an HIV-experienced nutritionist.

what sort of exercise is best?
Veins and weight lifting exercises.