Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Diarrhea / Wasting
Jul 12, 1999

I am currently involved in a protocol at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda. My CD4 count is consistently in the 600-700 range (33-35%) and viral load has been less than 50 for two years (now 6000 after being off meds for 12 week ). For approximately 7 months I have been experiencing diarrhea (more accurately very loose stool) and consequently have lost about 30 pounds. I also experience periodic high white blood cell counts (13,000 as of Tuesday) that last for a day and then return to the normal range always preceded by high fevers (101-102). My blood work has shown no evidence of any abnormalities (other than the white count), I have been tested for virtually every disease/infection known to man, my stool samples show no parasites etc. and I am losing patience (as well as too much weight). I have started believing that (as some nutritionalists think) I am perhaps not digesting fat, am lactose intolerant or perhaps have a food allergy. The docs at NIH don't hold any credence to these possibilities but what else could it be? Thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

That is indeed a tough question. I would certainly recommend endoscopy and small bowel biopsy and colonscopy and biopsy if they have not been done already. I also would do a CT scan and small bowel series, again if not already done. A 30 pound weight loss is significant. If all is negative I might try a trial of antibiotics. You could have a small nidus of salmonella or shigella hiding somewhere. Do you have gallstones? Malabsorption or food allergies would not elevate your white count. I always assume everyone is lactose intolerant, so be sure to go on that diet immemdiately. Good Luck Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Previous
Diarrhea and Quitting Smoking
Next
Constant Diarrhea

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.