Viracept-induced diarrhea: Nuisance or Harmful?

6 months ago my partner started on Fortovase/3TC/D4t, regimen was intensified/adjusted after 3 months, now Viracept/Fortovase/Ziagen/3TC. Working great (thank goodness), VL < 50 from over 500K, CD4 over 200 from under 100. Problem: Significant daily diarrhea from the Viracept. Metamucil is helping some, Immodium some, partner hasn't lost weight, overall he says it's pretty manageable, more of a nuisance than anything else. My question: Any real harm being done? I mean, if he can deal with it, and so far he can, do we need to worry about it? Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear BKS,

You hit the nail on the head. It seems that nelflinavir diarrhea is a nuisance and that's all. Has he tried using pancreatic enzyme supplements like Ultrase mt-20? Some patients have had luck with that plus imodium. The metamucil is a good idea. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Diarrhea for a Year
Diarrhea and Quitting Smoking