|Excessive Diarrhea from Meds
Sep 8, 1999
Hi, I am taking Viracept,epivir, & zerit. My viral load is at undetectable levels and my t-cells are climbing, however, unless I take 1/2 of an imodium tablet daily, I have terrible diarrhea. And that doesn't always work; I will sometimes get the diarrhea even with the anti-diarrheal. Any suggestions?
Response from Dr. Fisher
Sure...change the viracept to another protease inhibitor, indinavir or amprenavir. Or change it to a nonnucleoside, nevaripine or sustiva. These meds are much less likely to cause diarrhea than viracept. Other possibilities: make sure you don't have a bowel infection such as a parasite, consider taking ultrace (pancreatic enzymes) This problem is solvable! Alvan Fisher, M.D.
5 years of diarrhea
Exercise, supplements & medications
- Can You Get Hep C From Sharing A Joint?
- People From Which Age Group Are More Likely To Suffer From Opportunistic Infections
- Are Women More Likely To Catch Herpes Than Men?
- What Type Of Doctor Specializes In The Treatment Of Herpes?
- What If I've Never Had Sex And I Have Herpes?
- What Are The Chances Of Transmitting Chlamydia After One Time?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.