Losing weight and NO appetite

I am a 30-ish male, 6'3", 190 lbs (currently). I have been HIV+ for one year and am taking Crixivan and Combivir for nearly as long. I've had no serious side effects other than one bout with kidney stones. My viral load is undetectable and T-cell count is at 433.

For the most part, things seem fine except I have lost over 25 pounds and have no appetite since starting the meds. What medications should I ask my doctor about for this? I've been reading about a combination of Megace and steroids. What do you think? Any other suggestions for treatment of this problem? Thank you for this great resource...

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Megace can indeed help your appetite, but it can also lower your testosterone level and add fat to your frame. In general it would be advisable to check testosterone levels, even if you are doing well, your testes may not be. Marinol is a great appetite stimulant, if you don't mind the mild marijuana effects. Anabolic steroids, while useful don't usually addd to the appetite unless you are deficient in testosterone and replacing that can be very helpful. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Marijuana versus Marinol
starting to waste!