Marijuana versus Marinol

In recent debates over the use of marijuana versus marinol to help PWA's against wasting and other side effects such as naseua or diarrhea; what is your position on legalizing marijuana for medicinal porposes? Also are there any pros and cons between the two? Is one better than the other? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Fisher

I'm a child of the sixties...thus I favor both decriminalization of marijuana and availability of marijuana for medical purposes. We need more studies though on the use of medical marijuana as little has been done so far. I do have some problems with smoking pot in terms of possible lung effects, impurities and toxins. Marinol is the best legal alternative at present. I prescribe it extensively for nausea and encourage my patients to try various doses. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

No appetite
Losing weight and NO appetite