DHEA and HAART

Is it safe to take over-the-counter DHEA with HAART? I am using D4T, 3TC, SAQ and RIT, bid. I take currently 25mg DHEA every morning and after 4 days of using it I get pain in my muscles. Can that be from the DHEA? Thx,

Frank from Amsterdam

Response from Dr. Dieterich

DHEA is an interesting but unproven agent in HIV disease. In animals, DHEA actually causes weight loss, not gain. But its actual effects in people are still unknown.

Most people do not experience toxicities, however. Muscle pain can be due to a number of other things, including some antiretroviral medicines. So, if you are convinced that DHEA is worth trying, you should try it again. But I'm not convinced that you should expect much benefit, even if toxicity is also unlikely.

Echinacea: Should I or shouldn't I?
Echinacea