Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

May anabolic steroids produce inmunesuppression?
Jun 25, 2001

Please Dr. Doc if you could clarify this doubt to me: May anabolic steroids produce inmunesuppression by increasing cortisol,if so, how is it possible that they are being used in hiv+ people. I would like to try some of them since I lossing muscular mass. The word "steroids" reminds me those drugs used as antiinflamatories which do causes inmune depletion.Do they have anything to do with that? I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks a lot. AUSTIN.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There are many different types of "steroids". Gluococorticoids are the ones that are immunosuppressive. The anabolic steroids are used to build muscle mass and have no effect on the immune system. Although they do actually increase red cells! If you need them and they are used cautiously, they are quite safe. Good luck! DTD

Previous
MAY XENICAL BE USEFUL?
Next
Steroids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.