Prevalence of AIDS-associated muscle wasting

I am trying to assess the prevalence of AIDS-associated muscle wasting in the United States. Any information regarding the number of patients suffering from wasting symptoms or methods of estimating this population would be greatly appreciated. I would also appreciate your thoughts on the correlation between AIDS-associated muscle wasting and opportunistic infections. Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Everything has changed in the last few years since the advent of HAART. Prior to this (1980s-mid90s) we saw lots of cases of AIDS assoc wasting...indeed most who died from AIDS had evidence of wasting. Studies done then clearly indicated a negative effect of wasting on survival and functioning. The impact of HAART has been demonstrated in terms of improved survival, improved functioning, decreased incidence of OI's, etc. Included in this improvement has been decreased incidence of AIDS-wasting; though I cannot state to what extent. And we now see a burgeoning epidemic of lipodystrophy syndrome (or syndromes) that may or may not be related to mechanisms of wasting. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

HMB
Can Diarrhea/Weight Loss/Abdom.Pain be Presenting Symptoms?