what is the normal testosterone level

I am a 40 yr. old male with a free testosterone level of 15.0. I seem to always be fatigued and have started to experience some fat loss in my face and fat pads on my lower back just above my hips. Do you think I might have a low level of testosterone and if so could that be the reason for the fat deposits and low energy levels I am experiencing?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

To answer your question properly, I would need to know what the units are for the blood level (is it ng/dl?) and, most importantly, what the normal range is in this particular lab. If you could get these numbers, it would help.

But, assuming that these values are below the normal range in this lab, then your concerns are real. Your loss of energy could definitely be related, at least in part, to the low testosterone level -- and testosterone therapy has been shown to help restore energy and strength. The body fat changes are a bit more complicated. Low testosterone can lead t o loss of muscle and gain of fat, in general. The pattern of fat changes seen with anti-HIV therapies is different, however (often there is gain of fat in the abdominal area and loss in the extremities). Testosterone doesn't do much about this (although it may slightly reduce abdominal fat, if the person also exercises).

Is my testosterone too low?
Need Advice on Testost Replac. and/or Anab. Ster.