Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what is the normal testosterone level
Jan 21, 2000

I am a 40 yr. old male with a free testosterone level of 15.0. I seem to always be fatigued and have started to experience some fat loss in my face and fat pads on my lower back just above my hips. Do you think I might have a low level of testosterone and if so could that be the reason for the fat deposits and low energy levels I am experiencing?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

To answer your question properly, I would need to know what the units are for the blood level (is it ng/dl?) and, most importantly, what the normal range is in this particular lab. If you could get these numbers, it would help.

But, assuming that these values are below the normal range in this lab, then your concerns are real. Your loss of energy could definitely be related, at least in part, to the low testosterone level -- and testosterone therapy has been shown to help restore energy and strength. The body fat changes are a bit more complicated. Low testosterone can lead t o loss of muscle and gain of fat, in general. The pattern of fat changes seen with anti-HIV therapies is different, however (often there is gain of fat in the abdominal area and loss in the extremities). Testosterone doesn't do much about this (although it may slightly reduce abdominal fat, if the person also exercises).

Previous
Is my testosterone too low?
Next
Need Advice on Testost Replac. and/or Anab. Ster.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.