The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV + Diet
Jun 8, 2001

I am a female that is HIV +. My TC count is 757 and Viral Load is 101. I weigh 133 pounds, I am 5' 0". I want to go on a diet. Is it safe? I would like to lose some weight. The diet consists of liquid for the first 48 hours and its supposed to detoxify the body. I am currently taking Comvibir and Viramune. Is it safe for me to do this? Thanks

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Diets can be rough on the body. Whether it is safe depends on what type of weight you have (body composition) and how you lose it. A liquid diet for the first 48 hours is probably not your best bet.

First off, you need to get a body composition evaluation done to see if you have some extra muscle in your body. If you lose weight through diet restriction, you will also lose some of the important protein tissues. This protein tissue (called body cell mass or BCM) is responsible for most of the metabolic activity in your body and uses up most of your calories. The protein in this compartment is also responsible for processing your medications. If you don't have some extra BCM then you cannot afford to lose weight through dieting. In other words, dieting will not be safe.

If you do have some extra BCM (usually in extra muscle), then you should talk with a dietitian about safe ways to shed a few of those extra pounds while protecting your health. Ask your doctor for a referral to an HIV-specialist dietitian who can put the pieces together with you.

Good luck!

Lipo and thanks to you for your research
weight control for teens

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint