why has wasting decreased dramatically?

I noticed the statement that wasting has decreased dramatically in the introduction. I would like to know why this is, because I have it and it has gotten worse over the last five years when it first began. I got it after I had been in the hospital for PCP. It started with a small degree of facial loss and has progressed to the prominent leg veins, loss of all subcutaneous fat, worsening of facial fat loss. I am really very concerned that my face will continue to worsen. I am embarrassed because most peoples' faces appear to me to be filling in. So why is it decreasing?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

The old wasting was characterized by weight loss of over 10% of body weight and usually caused by an infection like PCP as in your case. That kind of wasting is declining because the incidence of infections is declining. However, as in your case, the new wasting is really lipoatrophy, or lipodystrophy or HARS, HIV related Adipose Redistribution Syndrome. This results in sunken cheeks, loss of fat in the arms and legs and often increases in the abdominal fat. The leading hypothesis for this is mitochondrial toxicity of nucleoside analogue HIV medications. It seems the worst offenders are D4T DDI and DDC particularly with hydroxyurea.

Many people are changing HIV meds for this, or are asking their MD's to draw a serum lactate level and if it is elevated, then changing meds. The vitamins that may help this are coenzyme Q, riboflavin and L carnitine. Good luck! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Chondroitin, Glucosamine, & PI's
Serostim: weight gain but with exercise