Interactions/dangers of niacin as supplementary high cholesterol treatment

Niacin has been suggested as an additional component to current lipid-reduction regimen (Lipitor, Tricor). How serious is the risk of negative interaction between the niacin and a standard HIV regime, as well as with an anti-coagulant (Warfarin)?

Response from Dr. Fisher

I think the major risk is liver toxicity. I hate using pharmacological doses of niacin because of this and because of the very common facial flushing that occurs after taking niacin. I don't think there is much of a problem with drug interactions, but if you are taking warfarin make sure the PT/INR is monitored carefully (and that your doc knows about the niacin).

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Activated Male Mammary Glands Coincides with Taking Dietary Supplement.
Ozone Dialysis