Apr 20, 2000
What are the signs (symptoms) of a vitamin B-12 deficiency? Thank you
Response from Dr. Dieterich
They are very unusual. It takes about 5 years of consuming no B12 to become B12 deficient. Typically weakness in the legs and the feet are the most common signs, although anemia (called pernicious anemia and characterized by large red cells) is also found. The worry in HIV is that survival may be shortened in people with low B 12 levels based on 10 year old data. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.
- Itchy Scrotum Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Coated Tongue After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Hairy Tongue After Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Night Sweats After Getting Head Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Painful Red Spots After Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Painful Red Spots After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.