Weight Loss; Marinol or Steroids?

doctor prescribed Marinol 2.5mg (1 capsule) for my weight loss (from 165 lbs. to 140 lbs. since January of this year). He told me that it would stimulate my appetite so that I might eat more and gain weight. I'm afraid that I haven't really noticed any difference. The only effect I've noticed is that about 30-45 minutes after I've taken it I feel a bit disoriented; it's a difficult feeling to describe.

He also mentioned another option, steroids. How will this help the weight loss?

How do these two treatments compare? And what should I be considering when I make a decision?

Viral Load <26, T-cells 251 / Drugs Combivir, Viracept, Acyclovir / HIV Infection since Jan. 1999

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Marinol is synthetic marijuana, it does give some people a little buzz like smoking a joint. It is supposed to give you an appetite. If you don't mind the feeling, you can try increasing the dose. Before you try anabolic agents, you should check your testosterone and replace it to a normal level. Then anabolics and exercise will likely add much weight to your frame and it will be mostly muscle. Good Luck! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Need advice about changing meds to combat Lipodystrophy
Muscle and Joints pain