We Found the BUG. Now What?

I developed chronic diarrhea around the 8th of Feb. We did all the GI tests with biopsy's, blood and stool cultures and everything else we could think of trying. On Apr 10 I went to the hospital as I had lost 45 lbs and was severely dehydrated. we started the tests again as a second check. Five days later we had a diagnosis of microsporidiosis. I have been on Albenza since Apr 14. We started TPN and I regained 18 lbs. All good and I am Happy we know the diagnosis. Now what do I do? I can't seem to find any info on water safety issues related to Micro. Does boiling tap water kill Micro? Can you direct me to and info that would be helpful. I have surfed the Web for two days with not a lot of success. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Microsporidiosis is a pain in the butt. I'm glad to see that you are being treated both with antimicrobial therapy and TPN. Talk to your doctor about an anabolic agent to help you replace lost muscle mass.

Boiling water doesn't help. Ultrafiltration of water probably does but is not completely practical. Bottled water is not completely free of potential contamination with micro or cryptosporidia.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

undecanoate vs. cypionate/enanthate
Lipodystrophy & Anabolic Medications