NEW MEDICATION FOR WASTING SYNDROME

I WAS DIAGNOSED HIV+ SEVEN YRS AGO. MY DOCTOR HAS DIAGNOSED ME WITH WASTING SYNDROME AND HE SAID IT IS BECAUSE OF THE MEDICATION (CRIXIVAN, ZERIT, AND EPIVIR). A FRIEND OF MINE HEARD ABOUT A NEW MEDICATION TO TREAT THIS CONDITION, PUBLISHED IN POZ MAGAZINE, BUT WE DON'T HAVE THE NAME. WOULD YOU KNOW THE NAME OF THIS MEDICATION SO I CAN INFORM MY DOCTOR WHO HAS NO IDEA ABOUT THIS MEDICATION?

Response from Dr. Fisher

I read POZ regularly. I am not aware of a new medication to treat wasting. We do have several approved medications for wasting including anabolic steroids such as oxandrolone as well as appetite stimulants and growth hormone. If you find out what this new medication is, please write back.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Med changes to slow facial wasting
undecanoate vs. cypionate/enanthate