For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Do low normal testosterone levels indicate intervention

My testosterone levels are low normal. Do any of you recommend taking test/sup when they are low normal? I am always tired/I'm losing fat in my face and am feeling pretty hopeless. Am I supposed to feel this rotten as a consequence of hiv or do you think my low (normal) testosterone has something to do with it? Please help

Response from Dr. Fisher

Yes, I would recommend a trial of testosterone least 3-6 months of weekly or biweekly injections or daily patches. Those symptoms may very well be from low testosterone. But the facial fat problem will not likely improve (it is not likely that this is caused by low testosterone levels).

You did not say your age...if youngish (in other words anyone younger than me!)..30's or 40's the "normal" levels may actually not represent what your levels ought to be.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Diet/Nutrition for HIV and HepC persons??
bout to use something new for fascial wasting