Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Diet/Nutrition for HIV and HepC persons??
May 11, 2000

Hello dr....I'm trying to find information (including any new books) on diet and nutrition for coinfected persons. I have HepC but had to stop the combination Rebetron treatment for now because of depression (also had severe side effects...but dr wants me to start again in about 6 months because i was responding). I've never been on HIV meds (cd4 has always been in the 500's except in the middle of hepC therapy dropped to 300...now back in 500's. My hiv vl started out at 19,500...now is 286...I tested + for both viruses 4/99). I'm somewhat confused on what i should be doing for my diet and nutrition because of coinfection. It seems that recommendations for hiv nutrition/diet conflicts with hepC recommendations (I've got liver fibrosis and in the middle of stage 3). I'm confused on what i should be eating/not eating with the liver damage and the hiv. Can you offer some help? thanks, robert

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Robert,

There is really no magic in treating liver disease. The main thing is no alcohol and a well balanced diet. You don't have to worry about too much protein as you may have heard as long as you are not yellow. There are no foods that "stress" the liver, only alcohol does that. So you can eat your HIV diet and don't worry about the liver as long as you are taking care of yourself generally. It sounds like you should be treated again for your hepatitis. Antidepressants work well and you should consider taking them before starting again. By the fall there will be pegylated interferon trials going on, which will be much easier to take. Good Luck! Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Previous
Trousers no longer fit.
Next
Do low normal testosterone levels indicate intervention

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.