Getting rid of crix belly.

I've noticed the fat in my face, arms and legs has pretty much gone and the gut is getting bigger. I am currently taking D4T, 3TC and Sustiva. I exercise regularly, running and playing racquetball and well as some weight training. Can I do anything help reduce the "crix belly"? Thanks for the column, it has answered many a question.

Response from Dr. Fisher

It is interesting that you call this "crix belly" though you are not taking crixivan!

Well, we remain at an impasse without answers with respect to fat accumulation and fat depletion. You certainly seem to be exercising enough which should stimulate fat mobilization and muscle mass accumulation. There is some evidence that coming off d4t may help- but only if you have an alternate regimen to go to that will maintain viral suppression. Some people have used growth hormone to help shrink the fat accumulation. But it is not certain that GH will work, it is expensive, it is not without side effects, its effects may not last when it is discontinued, and finally it probably won't help the fat depletion. These issues seem to be the price for successful (i.e. viral suppression) antiretroviral therapy. But these issues have finally received a substantial amount of attention and may yet yield to an as yet undiscovered solution. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

bout to use something new for facial wasting
Malabsorption/Weight