Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is Surgery Indicated for Llipomas?
May 24, 2000

I've been HIV+ for nearly 15 years, have been on all the HAART meds, and am currently undetectable. I have developed classic signs of fat redistribution over the past three years which has been distressing. This includes numerous lipomas all over my body, increased abdominal fat, an increasing buffalo hump, lean muscle loss, and significant facial wasting. In conjunction with increasing my exercise and consulting with a nutritionist, my nurse practitioner and I have changed my meds all around during this time in an attempt to slow or stop the progression of this problem, to no avail. Recently, I started using Serostim (going on 4 weeks now) with the hope that this might help. The Serostim has certainly helped to rebuild lean muscle, but I haven't seen any changes in the fat redistribution. Of course, the drug rep for Serostim says I need to stay on the drug for at least 3 months to see results (and make the drug company even more profitable) . I'll keep you updated. But, I was wondering...is it possible to have the lipomas surgically removed, even though I know they'll probably return? I can't stand see my body becomming all full of bumps.

Response from Dr. Fisher

Sure lipomas can be removed ...fairly easily in fact. Many people without HIV have lipomas and have them surgically removed. Recurrence may or may not occur. By the way the serostim should not be making any recommendations because serostim is not approved for this use (though it can be prescribed for fat accumulation or any indication your doctor might suggest). And we don't know how long you may need to stay on serostim in any case. Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Previous
Do I need a new doctor?
Next
Are Silicon Micodrops Safe?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.