Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

testosterone and its benefits for HIV Positive People
Jun 11, 2000

I am seeking information around testosterone treatment and HIV. I am a HIV positive person and I live in Australia the reason for my question is. Both myself and my partner are HIV+ he has no T-cells and a viral Load that is unreadable not undetectable he has been on testosterone injections for the past 2 years plus and gets no infections at all cold, flu anything. He was put on the injections as his levels of testosterone were low. Myself on the other hand have a T-cell level of just over 300 a viral load around 6,000 and I am prone to any bug that is going around I will get this constantly have muscular skeletal problems. He has more energy levels than myself goes to the gym 4 nights a week I try to go to the gym but am prone to all of the above this is starting to frustrate me. My question is would I benefit from being on these injections even though my testosterone levels are at the low end of normal. please excuse the spelling. your opinion would be greatly appreciated. John

Response from Dr. Fisher

Yes you might benefit from testosterone if your levels are low-normal, but do not expect to turn into your partner. Everybody is different with respect to how they respond to HIV as well as how they respond to testosterone. I doubt his testosterone has any effect on preventing colds, flu, etc. Many HIV-negative people have tremendous problems with minor infections, like colds and flu, while many HIV-positives have no problems with these. So who knows why?

But meanwhile low-normal testosterone levels are a reasonable indication for a trial of testosterone replacement.

Good luck.

Alvan Fisher, M.D.

Previous
Lipomas?
Next
Nandrolone/Testosterone injections

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.