AIDS, Diabetes and a Heart Attack

where can I go for info on a diet I can live with. I've had AIDS for about 6 years...added diabetes to the mix about 2 years ago, and had a mild heart attack last month. as it stands I must limit carbs, sweets, and now avoid dairy, red meat, and animal fats. what's left? how do I not lose weight? I am 5'8" and weigh 136lbs.. I have been unable to gain weight and with the new restrictions fear I'll lose even more. I visited a nutritionist when the diabetes was first diagnosed, and to say she was less than helpful would seem kind. any help you can offer or suggestions on locating info that addresses all three of my problems would be greatly appreciated

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I don't know where you live, but would contact the nutritionists who do AIDS. The name of the organization escapes me at the moment, but there are many of them all over the country. They are expert at trying to thread the needle with diets like yours needs to do. Call your local HIV support group or CBO they may know a good HIV friendly nutritionist. Doug

Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Bowel Inflammation, Diarrhea Dehydration and Weight Loss
Exercise/Joint Pain and HIV meds - my experience