Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AIDS, Diabetes and a Heart Attack
Jul 12, 2000

where can I go for info on a diet I can live with. I've had AIDS for about 6 years...added diabetes to the mix about 2 years ago, and had a mild heart attack last month. as it stands I must limit carbs, sweets, and now avoid dairy, red meat, and animal fats. what's left? how do I not lose weight? I am 5'8" and weigh 136lbs.. I have been unable to gain weight and with the new restrictions fear I'll lose even more. I visited a nutritionist when the diabetes was first diagnosed, and to say she was less than helpful would seem kind. any help you can offer or suggestions on locating info that addresses all three of my problems would be greatly appreciated

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I don't know where you live, but would contact the nutritionists who do AIDS. The name of the organization escapes me at the moment, but there are many of them all over the country. They are expert at trying to thread the needle with diets like yours needs to do. Call your local HIV support group or CBO they may know a good HIV friendly nutritionist. Doug

Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Previous
Bowel Inflammation, Diarrhea Dehydration and Weight Loss
Next
Exercise/Joint Pain and HIV meds - my experience

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.