weight loss please help

hi I am a 22 year old male and found out 2 months ago I was hiv+. I taking viracept and combivir tablets for about a month now. I am 5' 11" and went from 180lb to 168lb I would like to go back to 180 gaining some muscle. Is there any thing I can take, like the shakes from GNC or the vitamins shopper that can help me and is ok to take with the medicine I'm on.

Another thing is I have all me hair I would like to know is there any kind of shampoo or oils that I can use to help me keep my hair.

thank you

Response from Dr. Dieterich

You don't mention if you are having diarrhea from the viracept or not. I will assume you are not. The hair loss may be sign of many things including thyroid disease, so you should get that checked. Many people with HIV even being successfully treated, have low testosterones and I would certainly get that checked ASAP, because if it is low and at 22 it should be about 700, supplementing can be a great help. Many people also seem to benefit from protein shakes along with an exercise program. They are fine to take with the medication. Douglas T. Dieterich, M.D.

Lactate level?
Wasting & Somatropin Dosage