Drinking Diet Soda Vs. Water

If I decide not to drink water and only drink soda what are the repercussions? What if I choose diet soda instead? 1 calorie sodas should be fine, right? Would that mean less empty calories? Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Hellerstein

Soda instead of water will lead to a lot of problems. Lots of calories (weight gain), worse triglycerides in the blood (bad), more tooth decay, probably less quenching of your thirst due to the concentrated sugar.

Diet soda is a different story. There is little difference from water, physiologically. If it has caffeine in it, this is a potential issue. Sweeteners are generally safe -- it takes very very high doses to show problems in animals, and I know of no problems proven in humans.

Marc Hellerstein, M.D., Ph.D.

To change or not to change? (lipodystrophy)
Lactate level?