Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Equivalent Dosing of AndroGel vs. Injectible Testosterone
May 20, 2001

Is there any official calculation for determining eqivalent dosing of AndroGel vs. Injectible Testosterone? I had been taking 125 mg. testosterone cypionate IM injection/once a week with good results, but recently tried switching to AndroGel for the convenience. I have asked my doctor what her newly prescribed 5 gram/day AndroGel is delivering compared to what I was getting before from the shots, but get vague answers. As best I can tell from reading the AndroGel product insert, the 5 gram AndroGel is giving me 35 mg. per week vs. the 125 mg I used to get from shots? Is this still comparable given the different delivery methods?

Response from Dr. Fisher

Actually I am not sure. But you could go ahead and try androgel and then have blood levels measured. Indeed you might want to have blood levels of free testosterone measured while still getting the shots (especially a "trough" level, at the end of the dosing period). And then switch to the gel and measure free testosterone a few hours after application (a "peak" level) and a trough level at 24 hours. This will give you some guideline for assessing whether the dose is appropriate. AF

Previous
Nause, Fatigue and Bloatedness together
Next
HIV/AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.