Apr 5, 2001
Do you have any experience or knowledge regarding the use of Avandia in patients who have normal blood sugars to treat central fat accumulation or depletion of facial fat?
Response from Dr. Fisher
In a word, nope. This type of drug will combat insulin resistance but has not really been studied in HIV-associated lipodystrophy. One study with a similar drug, metformin, did show good results in terms of insulin resistance, blood pressure, weight. But the study was unlikely to show any effects on LD. I do not think there is a consensus that insulin resistance is the cause of LD, though it certainly is involved in the development of LD. In the absence of insulin resistance the drug could potentially be harmful by the way. AF
Sunken cheeks, Leg & Buttocks Wasting
Broke a Rib
- HIVpain In Penis After Touching Dried Blood Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Testicles After Touching Open Wound Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Urethra After Anal Fingering Worried I Have
- Red Eyes After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Oral Sex Form Sex Worker What Are The Chances Of HIV
- How Long Does It Take To Detect Std?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.