Segmental bioelectric impedance

I am a nutritionist working with HIV/AIDS patients. Would be interested in learning if you've heard of any procedures which would allow the use of bioelectric impedance to measure BCM and fat tissue in specific parts or areas of the body, e.g. extremities, or truncal area, so that we could in some way get a better handle on "fat redistribution syndrome" in our patients?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

I have not, and that is the major weakness of BIA -- it is a whole body measurement. We can see whole body fat declining in our patients even as their abdomens enlarge. The only way at present to diagnose that is with DEXA which involves a very expensive machine or to do CT scan which involves radiation. I share your frustration on this subject. DTD

vitamin supplements
Calcium for diarrhea-be careful of supplement formula