L-Glutamine / suggested doseage is 40 Grams daily?

I read that a study was conducted to determine a nutritional supplement that would help minimize wasteing in HIV patients. Subjects were given 40 grams of glutamine per day in combination with antioxidants. Subjects receiving glutamine primarily gained weight in the form of lean body mass. In light of these findings, the researchers suggest that combining glutamine-antioxidant supplementation with nutritional counselling may provide an effective and low-cost approach to treating AIDS-related wasting. QUESTION: Am I correct to assume the following conversion of mg to grams? 1000 milligrams = 100 centigrams = 10 decigrams = 1 gram so 40 grams a day = 40,000 mg - or 10 pills at 4000 mg per day. Appreciate your confirmation!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Your metric conversion is correct. However, I am not totally convinced about glutamine. On the other hand, the downside risk is only the 10 pills per day and the cost. I would leave that decision to you and your MD. DTD

Sustiva
Re: Fascial Wasting