Wasting and counteractive measures.

I am 36 yo and hiv pos for 15 years. About 4 years ago I started cocktails with few side effects and good results for the most part. VL undetect and cd4 over 500. I have been taking epivir zerit and sustiva for approx 18 months. Can this combination be responsible for wasting and is there anyway to reverse the process? I feel good, but Im becoming noticably thinner.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is considerable retrospective data implicating D4T as the cause for fat wasting, although all nucleosides can be responsible for this. See above messages, antioxidants might help like Co Q, riboflavin and carnitine. You can ask your MD about testosterone supplements but if it is fat wasting, that may not help. Consider also checking the lactic acid and perhaps switching to another regimen without D4T. DTD

facial wasting
DECA & TESTOSTERONE IN MTL.