Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wasting and counteractive measures.
Feb 10, 2001

I am 36 yo and hiv pos for 15 years. About 4 years ago I started cocktails with few side effects and good results for the most part. VL undetect and cd4 over 500. I have been taking epivir zerit and sustiva for approx 18 months. Can this combination be responsible for wasting and is there anyway to reverse the process? I feel good, but Im becoming noticably thinner.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

There is considerable retrospective data implicating D4T as the cause for fat wasting, although all nucleosides can be responsible for this. See above messages, antioxidants might help like Co Q, riboflavin and carnitine. You can ask your MD about testosterone supplements but if it is fat wasting, that may not help. Consider also checking the lactic acid and perhaps switching to another regimen without D4T. DTD

Previous
facial wasting
Next
DECA & TESTOSTERONE IN MTL.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.