abdomen pain

my brother has had aids since 1989..he has had many ups and downs including pneumonia twice last winter. he lost a lot of weigh and looked like he was not going to make it for a while. he has gained 30 pounds over the last 3 months and the wasting is not so apparent. He recently went back to work which I was not please to hear but he says it makes him feel better. He seems to experience pain regularly in his back. I am really scared that going back to work will put more stress on his condition and also exposing himself to the winter elements may bring on pneumonia again. I just found out he has this condition 5 months ago and I am terrified that I may lose him now that I have finally accepted this dreadful disease. Please tell me something to ease my mine about my concerns.

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Dear Concerned, It sounds like your brother is doing well. The most recent survival data for large groups suggest that survival for people with less than 200 t cells is about 10 years, and for people with more than 200 t cells is about 30 years! As long as he takes his medicine and takes care of himself, he should do well for a long time. DTD

How Long For Diarrhea Treatments To Start Working?
gynecomastia - caused by new drug therapy?