Follow Up Question on Lipodystrophy Studies - AF

Dr. Fisher: I read with interest your response to the recent question posed about whether research is actually being done in earnest on fat redistribution/lipodystrophy. I've got to tell you that I thought there was a concerted effort going on out there in research land on how to tackle this problem so many of us have. I am really distressed in realizing that I may have to continue to watch my body deteriorate and waste away because pharmaceutical companies see no profit margin for side effect management. Though of us that have moderate facial wasting are sensitive to the fact that the general public is becoming aware that this is a telltale sign of HIV. Is there some way that pressure can be placed on the researchers to step up the effort? Plastic surgery and New-Fill injections are impossible for those of us on fixed incomes. What about us?

Response from Dr. Fisher

It's a tough problem. There is certainly a growing awareness among those in "research land" of the importance of these issues. How to get more research done is hard to say. Let the companies that are in the antiretroviral arena (Glaxo, Merck, Dupont, Abbott, Agouron, B-I, Roche, BMS, etc) know of your concerns. AF

Weight Loss
Are there any OTC Appetite Enhancers?