Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Follow Up Question on Lipodystrophy Studies - AF
Feb 10, 2001

Dr. Fisher: I read with interest your response to the recent question posed about whether research is actually being done in earnest on fat redistribution/lipodystrophy. I've got to tell you that I thought there was a concerted effort going on out there in research land on how to tackle this problem so many of us have. I am really distressed in realizing that I may have to continue to watch my body deteriorate and waste away because pharmaceutical companies see no profit margin for side effect management. Though of us that have moderate facial wasting are sensitive to the fact that the general public is becoming aware that this is a telltale sign of HIV. Is there some way that pressure can be placed on the researchers to step up the effort? Plastic surgery and New-Fill injections are impossible for those of us on fixed incomes. What about us?

Response from Dr. Fisher

It's a tough problem. There is certainly a growing awareness among those in "research land" of the importance of these issues. How to get more research done is hard to say. Let the companies that are in the antiretroviral arena (Glaxo, Merck, Dupont, Abbott, Agouron, B-I, Roche, BMS, etc) know of your concerns. AF

Previous
Weight Loss
Next
Are there any OTC Appetite Enhancers?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.