Androgel/Testosterone

Dear Doctors: In July of this year, after my doctor determined that my testosterone is low (199), he prescribed Androgel 5g. It seemed to work for a couple of months, but over the last month I've noticed a return of fatigue, depression, and no libido. My latest test came back at 220. My HIV is undetectable, CD4 count 702, I have no infections, and I'm currently taking Sustiva, Combivir, and 400mg of Wellbutrin SR a day. I'm 33. What would you do next? Would it be wise to increase the dose of Androgel, or is the same thing likely to happen again? I'd certainly like to feel normal again -- my partner seconds that!

Response from Dr. Fisher

Did you get your "free testosterone" blood level checked? If not, do this and see where you are at. I ask my patients to do this blood test 24 hours or so after applying the androgel. This will be the low point (nadir) of the drug, just before re-applying. If the level is acceptable, I would not increase the dose. A dose increase might be justified to see if you notice any difference. Your symptoms could also be due to depression...is your wellbutrin working? How long have you been on it? AF

Last Post
Nandrolone 300 L.A. - AF