BIA testing for lipodystrophy

Is the BIA test a good indicator for BCM (Body Cell Mass)when there are physical signs of lipodystrophy? I have a patient who shows signs of peripheral wasting, with veins protruding and joint areas thinning. She is maintaining weight, but is steadily increasing in breast and waist size(No Buffalo Hump) Her BCM per BIA test is in range for her IBW (Ideal Body weight), but I believe she is losing muscle. Do you have any information about the reliability of the test with lipodystrophy? I am a Registered Dietitian who works with the HIV/AIDS population using the BIA.

Response from Dr. Fisher

I think the BIA may misrepresent fat loss in the presence of lipodystrophy. But I don't think it will misrepresent muscle mass. Meanwhile I have not seen studies comparing BIA with other methods in the presence of LD.

You are probably seeing fat gain without muscle loss.

AF

Changes in Body Chemistry/Diet
Winstrol