Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

his wife went to donate blood and it came out she has blood abnormalities
Jan 27, 2002

I had an affair with a married man in July 2001. He slept with his wife in July as well. She went to donate blood and the donor clinic contacted her doctor, who in turn contacted her.They say she has "blood abnormalities". My question..wouldn't her window period have already been up by October/early November? If blood donor clinics regularly screen for STD'S wouldn't they have already determined she had an STD of some kind? Am I taking a gigantic leap here and assuming way too much? He told me he had sex with another woman prior to me. Thankfully, we used condoms when we were together. Whats my risk if he has HIV and we used condoms. We also had oral sex. Whew...my last question..I just found out in April my own husband had several affairs. He claims that he used condoms with everybody. I also had unprotected anal sex in January with someone else. I know this sounds like a regular soap opera... I am a smart informed person who should have known better. I am trying to forgive myself for being so needy. I have gone for all the other tests, thankfully I tested negative for everything else. Thats one last thing to worry about.I just can't seem to find the strength to go for the HIV blood test. The married guy I had the affair with went for all the tests, we should know his status by Monday. I still should go if he isn't positive shouldn't I? The anxiety is killing me, I have had a dry mouth since May. I've heard and read that this is a common symptom of the infection, but I also had throat surgery for vocal chord polyps. Having HIV couldn't be worse then this mental anguish. Beginning to get less fearful of the infection as I go through this fear process. Thanks for listening doctors!

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Wow, that's quite a story. The bottom line is if you used condoms then you should be reasonably safe. However all the other exposures could also be risky. The answer is GET TESTED! Knowing and treating can change the whole prognosis of the disease, and it would be responsible thing to do if you are having sex with anyone at all so that you could warn them. Good luck and congratulations on your couselling and self forgiveness! DTD

Previous
was it the Milk Thistle!
Next
Deca and raising red blood cells

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.