Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

weight issues
Jan 22, 2002

i am 21 years old large and hating it. i am at 309lbs. the most i have ever weighed in my life and it kills me. i have tried the dieting and the exercise and i am a very active person and yet i just can not seem to lose the weight can you tell me what else may be wrong with me?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

There are many things that can contribute to being overweight. And, that is our starting point. There are several questions to ask and this can be done with the help of your physician and dietitian. A careful evaluation of diet, exercise, and medical conditions is important to make sure that you are successful in reaching a healthy goal for your weight. Your doctor and dietitian can recommend an appropriate weight range based on your height, frame size, body composition (muscle is heavier and denser than fat), family history, medical conditions and other information.

Weight loss is a serious undertaking when you are HIV-infected and it is worthwhile making sure that you use methods that don't hurt your health and shoot for a range that supports optimal health. The fact that you are an active person will help you to better keep your muscle tissues while heading toward your goal.

Bottom line: head back to your doctor and dietitian and have a discussion to rule out any medical factors that can complicate reaching your goal of a healthier weight.

Previous
Lactic Acid produced from Lactose?
Next
Facial Wasting/Does Everone Get This at Some Point?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.