Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lactic Acid produced from Lactose?
Jan 21, 2002

Last year I had to stop my meds for several months due to Lactic Acidosis. It was most likely caused by the ddI & Hydroxyurea which were since dropped from my regimen when I restarted HAART.

I am now hesitant to start taking a whey protein supplement because I have a fear that there may be some relationship between the lactate contained in milk products and the lactate levels in the blood. Are there simply two different definitions for the words "lactate", "lactic", and "lactose" or is there actually some relationship? Is it possible that drinking milk proteins can contribute to hyperlactatemia and/or lactic acidosis?

Response from Dr. Dieterich

Good question. However lactose is a sugar found in milk and no relationship to lactic acid or serum lactate. The only thing that lactose might do is give you diarrhea.! It should not be a problem as long as you are not lactose intolerant. Good luck! DTD

Previous
Requesting info about Oxandrin
Next
weight issues

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.