Nausea with Combivir

I found out I was HIV + 3 months ago. My doctor put me on Combivir and Abacavir, but I was part of that 4% who have an adverse reaction to Abacavir. Anyway, I switched to Sustiva and so far that has been fine. My problem is with the Combivir. I have constant nausea. This morning I drank more water than normal and it all came up. I try to control the nausea with ginger tea or marijuana. The ginger tea only works sometimes and then only mildly, and the marijuana isn't something I want to be doing all the time. Especially when I first wake up in the morning. People keep on assuring me that these side effects will subside, but they seem to be getting worse, not better. Will this nausea ever go away? I've been on the drug with Sustiva for about 2 weeks now. Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Fisher

If you still have nausea after 3 months on combivir, it is time for a change. Ask for d4T and 3TC instead of combivir. This should be better. But make sure there are no other reasons for nausea, such as gall bladder or liver disease, stomach ulcers, etc.

And good luck

AF

Swollen cheek glands
Supplements