Swollen cheek glands

I have swollen check glands (parotid glands I believe they are called) as was wondering if you or anyone else out there has found something that makes them go back down? I look like I have the mumps or something. I am going to acupuncture and am they are somewhat improved, but I was looking for something better.

Response from Dr. Fisher

I doubt acupuncture will provide any long-term benefit. This complication (it is a complication of HIV infection itself) is relatively common. In some cases treatment with antiretrovirals helps to shrink the parotid enlargement, in others needle aspiration (to remove fluid) or even surgery to remove some of the gland will help. If the situation is extreme I would recommend you see an ENT surgeon and think about surgical resection. But you must get a good surgeon who can remove parotid tissue without injuring the facial nerve (obviously a major concern with surgery).

AF

L-Glutamine and Diarrhea
Nausea with Combivir