The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Swollen cheek glands
Oct 9, 2000

I have swollen check glands (parotid glands I believe they are called) as was wondering if you or anyone else out there has found something that makes them go back down? I look like I have the mumps or something. I am going to acupuncture and am they are somewhat improved, but I was looking for something better.

Response from Dr. Fisher

I doubt acupuncture will provide any long-term benefit. This complication (it is a complication of HIV infection itself) is relatively common. In some cases treatment with antiretrovirals helps to shrink the parotid enlargement, in others needle aspiration (to remove fluid) or even surgery to remove some of the gland will help. If the situation is extreme I would recommend you see an ENT surgeon and think about surgical resection. But you must get a good surgeon who can remove parotid tissue without injuring the facial nerve (obviously a major concern with surgery).


L-Glutamine and Diarrhea
Nausea with Combivir

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint