Bloated stomach

I was diagnosed Hiv+ in January 2000. Ever since ,my stomach always feel bloated. I am not on any medication now. I used not to eat regularly, but now I eat 3 good meals a day. Some people said I am under stress, but I am not and I feel I have come to term with being HIV + . I have lost weight before diagnoses, but now I have gained my weight back since I have eat good meals regularly. The feeling of my stomach bloated can be very frustrating, it made me do not feel hungry, so I have to force myself to eat, I did not have this problem before I was diagnosed and my CD4 and viral load remains stable.

What causes this bloating feeling and how to get rid of it?

Response from Dr. Hellerstein

This is a difficult problem. There are a few possible causes of a bloated feeling, as you describe. One is if you have gained abdominal fat. This would be apparent by an increase in waist size (e.g. pants size). It does not seem to be the case for you. Another cause is if the virus is reducing your natural appetite, and you are managing to eat only by forcing yourself. The net effect would then be a constant feeling of having overeaten (i.e. feeling stuffed). This seems to fit your story, including the fact that you did lose weight at one point.The solution to this might be to try an appetite stimulant (so that you don't feel over-full). Megestrol acetate is very effective in this regard. Not as effective, but also of potential value, is Marinol (a derivative of THC in marijuana). This is approved for use in HIV infection, although many people do not like the feeling (spacy),especially if there is a history of substance abuse.

So there are some choices to consider. None of it is definite, but this is the first line that I would consider and pursue with your doctor.

Good luck,

mh

FInding a suitable nutritionist
lipodystrophy -- Legs, Vanity or Problem?