Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Lipodystrophy and WastingLipodystrophy and Wasting

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can nutrition save me?
May 14, 2001

Hi Cade:

I'm an HIV positive woman and I was wondering if you recommend any particular diet. I look funny now because of lipostyrophy. I have a fat stomach and skinny legs. I never looked like this before. I have been taking medications for 4 years. I'm doing well. Is there anyway with diet that I can change my shape?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Diet changes to change altered fat deposits have not been well-studied. I would venture to say that diet and exercise probably both have important roles to play in keeping fat alterations to a minimum, but we are lacking in evidence that diet changes can reduce the effects of fat accumulation or losses. As such, I would recommend keeping up a balanced dietary intake that keeps you around a good weight for you (reducing the risk factors of weight gain or loss that may be associated with body weight changes) and take up or continue on a balanced exercise program that includes both resistance and aerobic exercise (probably along with some injury-preventing stretching). Keep in touch with your health care team on this to make sure you tolerate exercise well.

Previous
Taking too much zinc
Next
Vitamin choice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.