Can nutrition save me?

Hi Cade:

I'm an HIV positive woman and I was wondering if you recommend any particular diet. I look funny now because of lipostyrophy. I have a fat stomach and skinny legs. I never looked like this before. I have been taking medications for 4 years. I'm doing well. Is there anyway with diet that I can change my shape?

Response from Ms. Fields-Gardner

Diet changes to change altered fat deposits have not been well-studied. I would venture to say that diet and exercise probably both have important roles to play in keeping fat alterations to a minimum, but we are lacking in evidence that diet changes can reduce the effects of fat accumulation or losses. As such, I would recommend keeping up a balanced dietary intake that keeps you around a good weight for you (reducing the risk factors of weight gain or loss that may be associated with body weight changes) and take up or continue on a balanced exercise program that includes both resistance and aerobic exercise (probably along with some injury-preventing stretching). Keep in touch with your health care team on this to make sure you tolerate exercise well.

Taking too much zinc
Vitamin choice