TreatmentProTreatmentPro

New drug with the greatest impact

Hi David:

Great article on new therapies! I couldn't tell which drug you thought will have the most impact on HIV treatment. Can you clarify.

Thanks!

Good question.

Some of the 'new' drugs presented at the conference are not all that new in that many clinicians already have some experience with these or like agents. On the other end of the spectrum are compounds that are 'way out there' and look great but are in the very early stages of what can be a tortuous road to the pharmacy shelf.

I am personally upbeat about a number of new therapies. I think a combination tablet of tenofovir/FTC will be very popular. Likewise, the new formulation of amprenavir ("908") will breath new life into this drug.

For salvage, T-20 and T-1249 are going to have a great impact, IF enough of these medications are able to be made available and affordable to those who need them most.

I am cautious about predicting the future of the more novel therapies, as exciting as they are, until we get more safety and efficacy data.

Thanks

FTC/tenofovir
2NN and first-line