The Viread Truth

Dear Docs, I guess this is more of a commentary than a question. I would like to set the record straight about Viread. People are under the impression that this new one a day drug is some king of wonder pill without side effects! Well, let me tell you that it isn't! I recently added Viread to my usual Sustiva and 3TC, and dumped Zerit in favor of this wonder pill. I immediately experienced headache, dizziness, extreme tiredness, gas, and heartburn. I have been taking it now for several weeks and some effects have been diminishing gradually, but not all. Still very tired and headachy most of the time. I just wanted to warn people that this still is a potent drug with adverse side effects and not to buy into some of the information that is going around of no side effects. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true? Well, you know.

Thanks in Denver.

Thank you for your comments.

You are correct in pointing out that all medicines, even ones that seem to be very well tolerated, are not necessarily well tolerated by every person who takes them. Tenofovir is generally well tolerated; we can expect this point to be part of the marketing strategy from Gilead. However, some persons taking tenofovir can experience side effects. Thankfully, we are all individuals; but different individuals may respond differently to medications. /BY

Dr. Young, a question of STI's
Help me please!!!!!!!