Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pimple-like Bumps on Labia???
Nov 25, 2001

I have a pipmle-like bump on my labia and I am not sure what it is. I recently went to the doctor and I am awaiting test results for a possible herpetic virus (which I would just die if it comes back positive!!!)

This is the third "bump" I've had since last year. It's characteristics and symptoms are much like a pimple. There is only one bump at a time and it starts small and gets a little larger - about the size of a small pea. It lasts about 3 - 4 days max and by the end I can squeeze out a small amount of pus. It feels sensitive and irritating just as a pimple does on your face. There is no oder or itchiness or blistering.

The first time I ever encountered this was with my partner. She had one in the exact same spot. She claims to have never had one before and that she was unaware it was even there till I pointed it out to her. She has not had one since but I have had 3 total.

I don't know what this is and I am very concerned for both of us.

Please Help!!!

Response from Dr. Pavia

This is where diagnosis without being able to see something really has its limitations. With that in mind, I will offer a few thoughts. It does not sound like Herpes, which usually comes in clusters of bumps which become filled with clear fluid, then open to become small sores which may scab over. They itch or burn.

What you describe sounds like a pimple. To be more precise, it would be folliculitis, or infection of a hair follicle. If it is your labia majora (outer lips), these are common and usually caused by staph, a common bacteria. They are generally not contagious, and treatment is usually just a hot compress, followed by squeezing it when it comes to a head. It sounds like you are doing the right thing. However, you need to continue to discuss this with your provider.

ATP

Previous
RE:ALVAC FOLLOW UP
Next
How many strands exist and different routes of transmission?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.