COMFORTABLE WITH PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN; UNCOMFORTABLE WITH DUTCH REFORM NURSES

I was recently diagnosed HIV positive and have decided to be treated for HIV by my hospital's infectious disease specialists. The specialists recommend a primary care physician to treat other unrelated or unknown ailments. I have an experienced internist as my primary care physician and am comfortable with him treating me; however; his partnership office has two older nurses who I find rather brusk and conservative (read judgmental). Since the nurses are the gatekeepers to the doctor's available time, is it reasonable to surmise that I should change doctors if I don't trust the office help?

Response from Dr. Cohen

Well - not exactly a medical query - but I'd say that it would be great if you did feel welcome and trusting of all the medical personnel you will deal with. Including the nurses. And changing doctors to find that right combination may be one way to do this - but that depends on where you are and how many other MD's there are that you can build a trust in the way that you now trust your current doc.

Perhaps discussing your perception about the nurses with the MD might allow some alternative strategy in helping you stay there as well? Maybe there are ways to win them over, so that they treat you in the way you are looking for?

Curious Question
Is it ok to start meds later?