HIV mortality in HAART era

I would like to thank you first for answering my question. The question is: with the advance of new treatment modalities such as haart, what is the mortality of a person who gets infected? Before HAART, I heard it was about 10 years.

Response from Dr. Squires

The simple answer is that we do not know how long survival has been prolonged with the use of the new HAART regimens. Researchers have calculated that an individual who can successfully suppress the virus with a combination regimen may be able to have a life span of 60-70 years. This assumes that this individual can tolerate and maintain the medications over many years. The good news is that HIV infection has been converted from a fatal to a chronic disease but we still need to devise drug regimens that require few pills, are well tolerated and do not cause significant complications. There is still much work to do.

Hope that this helps.

Kathleen E. Squires, M.D.

HIV mortality in HAART era
Sores on Body