HIV mortality in HAART era

Hello Dr. Squires, I just read your answer of 10 August 2000 which stated that researchers have calculated that an HIV+ individual on successful HAART may be able to live 60-70 years. Are these predictions based on current drugs, so that the life expectancy might be even higher (let's say 70-80 years like HIV negative individuals) if/when new, better drugs or vaccines are invented? Thank you in advance for your answer!

Response from Dr. Squires

The calculations were modeled based on clinical records derived from a number of large HIV clinics. While the numbers are very encouraging, I would caution that there are a number of assumptions that are being made including, that individuals will be able to take and tolerate the regimens that they are receiving, that side effects and long term complications may be minimal, etc. We are learning more about the long term complications of the drugs and / or HIV infection itself as we have the chance to follow patients for a longer period of time. I do think (and this is a personal opinion), that the drug combinations are getting better and that this may translate into even better survival data. It is important, however, to remember that the data is applicable to the large group of HIV-infected individuals who have access to these medications; the reality may be different for the individual patient.

I hope that this has been helpful.

next drug regimen????
HIV mortality in HAART era